A leading industrial products company was considering entry into an adjacent market for its current technology. The company had not previously sold into this adjacent market because the product requirements appeared to be different. Upon further review, however, the Client questioned whether the key success factors were in the products or in the sales channels and support structure.
Given the large potential opportunity that this adjacent market represented, the Client requested RSR Marketing Solutions’ (“RSR”) assistance in determining the critical success factors for entering and being successful in this new market.
Overview of RSR Engagement – New Market Analysis
Develop a fact-based assessment of the critical success factors for entering a particular market segment.
- Quantify and segment the North American market to determine overall size, size by segments, and market shares.
- Assess five year market growth rates and key end use demand and regulatory factors that will drive demand.
Channel / Customer Analysis
- Assess key reasons why customers choose or partner with suppliers in the adjacent market segment.
- Determine key purchase decision factors by customer segment to assess the critical success factors to enter and penetrate the market.
- Rate suppliers against the critical success factors to determine strengths and weaknesses of the client relative to the competition.
Highlights of Study Findings
- Learned that the key barrier to entry for the client was its channel and support network, not product design.
- Highlighted specific customer opportunities for the client as well as an approach to serve the market.
- Suggested the client invest in channel partners and a portfolio of standard products marketed toward the adjacent market.
- Recommended potential channel partners in key geographic areas of interest.
- Identified some product niche(s) that should be emphasized to best serve the adjacent market.
RSR is a business research / consulting firm that provides primary source market intelligence, competitive benchmarking, and strategic analysis for leading industrial clients.
We help our clients make better strategic decisions by giving them an in-depth understanding of the market and competitive landscape.
Our firm assists clients in situations where critical gaps in knowledge, experience, or information inhibit confident, effective decision-making.
We bring unmatched primary research interviewing skills & techniques, exceptional analytical precision, and industry expertise in niche markets to fill in the missing pieces.
We help our clients grow their business by providing them:
- Market entry studies
- Customer analysis
- Acquisition analysis
- Competitive analysis
- Business case analysis
- Territory market studies